Sunday, July 24, 2011

Starving Artist

I have always been a big fan of art.  Originals, reproductions, old, new, abstract, contemporary, you name it.  Having worked at a frame shop for six years, you kinda get a good look at a LOT of art.  One of the first pictures I ever framed for myself was an 8X10 of Van Gogh's Starry Night.  I don't know why I was drawn to it, but the colors really spoke to me.  Since then, I've framed about a million pictures, most of which I don't have wall space for.  Last summer when we were on vacation in Massachusetts, Dan and I came across a cute harbor town where there was art everywhere.  There was one store in particular that sold reproductions and original oil paintings for incredible prices.  We weren't exactly in the market for artwork, but as a young couple starting out, it felt like something special to purchase together.
We bought this one frame and all because we were leaning towards a nautical theme in our spare bedroom.  We both fell in love with it.


This little guy was a steal and a last minute purchase.  I loved it because of the colors and it's a famous painting from around that area.


This one, of course, is the one I picked out.  Dan ended up buying it for me as an early birthday present.  I framed it and hung it in my apartment until I moved into the house.  Now it hangs in our black and white bathroom.

This weekend we went to the town Italian Festival.  A woman was selling the same kind of paintings that we came across in Massachusetts.  As soon as I spotted the Starry Night paintings, I was hooked.  The price kept going down the more she talked to me, trying to get that last sale in before the festival was over.  I told her I would think about it, and left.  And then the non-buyer's remorse hit me.  Usually it's when I buy something expensive that I shouldn't have, but this time was due to NOT buying something I SHOULD have.  So I went back, and it felt good :)


My new Starry Night, next to my old Starry Night.  Of course, Dan's first question was "Where are you going to put it?"  If you have a really great piece of art that you are really in love with, you'll find a spot :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there. Thanks for leaving some feedback on all of my hard work! I love hearing from everyone - friends and strangers alike. :)