Wednesday, January 13, 2010

FREE FOR THE TAKING!!!!!


I was driving down the road one morning (a way I don't usually go) and my eye got caught on this heap of junk sitting at the end of this guy's driveway.  I kept driving to my destination, all the while thinking about the piece of furniture I had seen - I wasn't even sure it was a dresser at first!

I drove past again on my way home and decided to stop since the man was outside.  He usually has things out by the road to sell, so I asked him how much.  He said "It's free dear, your's for the taking."  I was elated! Of course, it wouldn't fit in my bug, so I told him I'd be right back and ran home to get my Dad's truck - luckily he was home that day!  I came back, the man helped me load it up, and I drove off.
  

After getting it back home and looking it over, I realized I had my work cut out for me.  The whole thing would need stripped and I'd never done that before.  It was the dead of winter and freezing in the garage - even w/ the wood stove burning.  But I went and got 2 cans of spray stripper and got to work. 

Let's just say, it was quite an experience.  Stripper is some crazy stuff that eats at the paint and turns it to goop.  Then you have to scrape the goop off the wood w/ a putty knife and into a bucket.  Well, goop was EVERYWHERE!  The top was easy - a flat surface.  The legs and little nooks were difficult though.

After the goop was removed and the surface was clean, I sanded and sanded and sanded and....well you get the picture.  That mark on the top seen above never did come out - not sure what caused it.  But I like that its still there because it gives it character - I'm ALL about the character!

I chose a dark stain to really draw out the beautiful grain I could already see.

The picture doesn't do it justice!  I got glass knobs from an antique store and replaced the old ones on the small drawers.  Still haven't found something for the big drawer, but I'll get there. 


That's the mark I was telling you about - the stain darkened it a little.  But look at that wood grain!! Have you ever seen something so beautiful?!?  I'd say this was quite a successful endeavor :)

1 comment:

  1. AMAZING -----THEY ARE ALL BEAUTIFUL AND SO CREATIVE. LOVE --- MEMA

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. Thanks for leaving some feedback on all of my hard work! I love hearing from everyone - friends and strangers alike. :)